The Official Taylor's Angels Weblog

Taylor Hicks Fans Taying it Forward One Soul At A Time

Seven Mile Breakdown

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Taylor's Angels Presents.. Angel Hero of the Month!



Taylor's Angels is sponsoring a new award that will be given each month to one very special person in the Soul Patrol Community. Starting this month we will be accepting nominations for "Hero of the Month”. The nominees should be a fan or supporter of Taylor Hicks who has done something extraordinary to help and/or give support to someone in need within the Soul Patrol community.
We all know someone who has offered words of encouragement during difficult circumstances or started a project to help lessen life's burdens. We all have been touched by acts of kindness inspired by Taylor Hicks, so we want to recognize those special people in a unique way.

One winner will be selected each month and will receive a beautiful bracelet designed especially for them. Additionally, Taylor's Angels will feature the winner and why they were selected as the "Hero of the Month" in our weekly blog.


The Hero of the Month for January is....
Debbie ( alagirl77)


Debbie belongs to a board called "The Right Place". A member of her board called "TurtleHeart" told the board about a little girl named Mallorie. Turtleheart let them know about a very sick little girl, who was a huge fan of Taylor Hicks. The little girl’s dream was to one day go to a concert and meet Taylor. The wonderful members of "The Right Place" took Mallorie's family under their wing and began to send her letters and Taylor things. Debbie started communicating with Renee( Mallorie's) mother and finding out what her needs were. She became her friend knowing the hardship she was facing with a sick child, she became someone to lean on. Debbie wrote a letter to Taylor's Angels and asked for tickets to a concert so this child's dream could come true. We told her we would work on it and got them tickets to the Orange Beach concert. In the end it all worked out for them and Mallorie's wish of meeting Taylor was granted by a very special promoter. Debbie not only wrote to us about Mallorie, she became a friend of Taylor’s Angels. She kept us updated on Mallorie's condition weekly. She helped the family with her kind words of encouragement and friendship. She encouraged the Soul Patrol, along with "TurtleHeart" to reach out to this family.

We chose Debbie because she went beyond the call of duty to help this family. She became their friend -someone they could count on. She has a beautiful heart. Her joy came from knowing that Mallorie's dream had come true. We asked Debbie to share a little about herself with the Soul Patrol and as you will read she has her own "claim to fame" in Taylor world!

TA: Tell us about yourself.

Debbie: I live in Alabaster, Al. very near Birmingham. I grew up in Southeastern Ohio in the small town of Chesapeake. I enjoy life and all it has to offer me each day. I value my family and friends for they add much joy to my life. I am about to start a new venture in my life. I am starting school this month to be an Esthetician, which I am looking forward to. I love challenges and rise to the occasion when it is needed.


TA: How did you become interested in Taylor? What inspired you about his music?

Debbie: I saw Taylor on AI season 5 and had never heard of him until then. My son and I were watching the show and when they said "Taylor Hicks from Birmingham" we were both glued to the television. From that point on, nothing could tear us away from AI each week. His voice and moves floored me and I was hooked. His personality came through on each and every show and I knew this guy’s was going places. I could feel the soulful talent that came within him, his music and talent was something that grabbed me and has never let go. Taylor brought me back to music, music I had been missing for such a long time.


TA: How many shows have you been to?

Debbie: I have attended 3 shows - not enough but I am thankful I was able to see those. I have seen him in other settings- but only 3 concerts.


TA: What is your favorite Taylor tune?

Debbie: From his debut album, I have to say "The Maze". That song and it's tempo moves me. From his concerts- I would have to say "Don't Let Me Down", that is an all time favorite of mine. It's had to pick one favorite. Anything and everything Taylor does "Wows" me.


TA: Share with us your favorite "Taylor Moment".

Debbie: It has to be the day I recorded his "hole in one" at the golf tournament. Getting to meet him and talk to him one on one. I was so nervous, but it's a day I will never forget. Also, getting to see Taylor at Alabama Adventure with LMBO was a treat. He was so in his element that night and talking to him briefly after the show was a moment to treasure.


TA: Tell us the story about the famous "Hole in One" you recorded.

Debbie: I watched Taylor practice his driving before he hit the greens. I had a moment to speak to him and get his autograph. We all began to follow the guys around the course. When we got to backside of the course we had a huge hill to climb. One of the men working there told us that it may be better to head to the bottom where the green was and wait there, so we did. I took a seat on the grass waiting on Taylor to drive. He made a perfect drive, right onto the green. As Taylor came down the hill and approached the green - something told me to pick up my camera and capture the shot. He took his time and aimed. Perfect putt and the ball went. Taylor did his happy dance and we were all on our feet screaming our hearts out for him. When he walked off the green he said, “If anyone got that video I will pay them!" and laughed. I yelled over to him that I had captured it. He said to me, "You got that?". I told him yes- I got it. He once again said, "You got that?” "You really got that shot?” I said “Yes Taylor, I got it!". He seemed to be in disbelief that it had been captured. He walked over to me and talked for a bit. Thanked me for getting the shot on video and asked if I could send it to him. He then asked if I would like a picture with him and at that point I totally went into the "Taylor Zone". That was a moment in time I will never forget as a Taylor Hicks fan! I made a DVD of his magical moment, along with pictures I had taken and sent it to him. I received a wonderful letter from his father thanking me.




TA: How did you meet Renee and Mallorie? What inspired you to contact us to help them?

Debbie: A dear Soul Patrol member, Turtleheart, brought a post from Renee on the AI boards over to us and it touched my heart. Reading what a mother wrote, such a heartfelt message for her sick little girl that is such a huge Taylor Hicks fan, to somehow see him in concert got my wheels turning. I contacted those that had connections by email or PM that could maybe help in making Mallorie's wish come true. I knew of Taylor's Angels and had read the blog many times. Someone on the boards suggested contacting Taylor's Angels. God and my heart led me to request this for Renee and her dear daughter. Taylor's Angels made that magical wish come true for Mallorie and I am so thankful to all of you. I thank God each day for the Sullivan family in my life. They have added much joy and love to my life.


Thank you Debbie for all you have done for this family and for sharing your story with the Soul Patrol!

We know that by now you have already thought of someone to nominate, so please email us at :taylors_angels@yahoo.com and we will send you a nomination form. You will be asked to answer a few short questions describing what the nominee has done to enhance the life of another and why they are deserving of the award.

Taylor’s Angels thanks each of you for your support this past year and we look forward to recognizing some outstanding Soul Patrollers during 2008!

Published by: Teri (cydter)

Tags: , , ,

6 comments:

DidNotExpectThat said...

Deb, I was there when you captured Taylor's great shot at the Regions Classic last year and saw that you had recorded it! I heard him say that he would pay for a tape of that and then saw him talking to you. I was so happy that you were able to get this to him. Thanks for all you have done for Mallorie. She is a fantastic girl and her family is awesome. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Anonymous said...

Deb, Congrats! Couldn't think of someone who deserves it more. I've met so many SPs that have your heart and go out of their way for people. Thanks for being a great example of TAYITFORWARD!
DeeDee56

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Deb! Didn't we have a blast at Ross Bridge that day? Your such a sweet person! Good luck with school and I've got my ticket for Montgomery in Feb. Hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Deb, Thank you for your friendship.
My whole family thanks god for you everyday you are our Hero!! Thank you for all your kind words and everything you have done for us. You restored a lot in me that I lost throughout all Mallorie's battles. I will always love and thank you for it all. You are the best friend a person could ever ask for. With lots of love from
All the Sullivans

Anonymous said...

thank you everyone for you kind words, and thank you to the Angel's for honoring me with this. i am so happy that Mallorie got to meet Taylor and has memories to last her forever. i love you Sullivan family, all my SP family and the Angel's. you make my life a joy each day.
Deb

Anonymous said...

congrats debbie